20070726

no Juice?

Thankfully our Sun doesn't have "power outages" or we would risk having our days shunned into darkness suddenly as was the case for many people this morning around 9:30 downtown Montreal.

Our boss was yelling from her office this morning,
"Did you know something blew up and a whole chunk of downtown doesn't have power?" (Apply a strong british woman accent here)

So far what I can google-up is that the blackout extends from Rue Guy to Bleury (west-east) and Avenue du Pins to Notre-Dame (north-south) which is indeed "a whole chunk downtown" Montreal. Our office building is just a few blocks away from Guy, which is why I can still blog here. But hm...I kind of wished we were included in the outage. It would have been hectic but at least the workday would have been short. The metro seems to be working fine which is a life saver since I practically live on it. By that I mean I can't get anywhere without it.

It reminds me of the massive power outage Tokyo experienced last August while I was back in Japan visiting my parents. We woke up in the morning to hear on the news that the capital city had been crippled by a single craneship passing down Edo river. With the cranes raised, but ship had brushed and shorted a high-voltage power line feeding eastern Tokyo. If that is what a small human error can cause, I cannot imagine what a planned attack could do to the Japan's throbbing core.





I wonder what the skyline will look like tonight in Montreal.

No comments: