20070722

wherever You are, don't come out

Yesterday night I was over at Philip's grandmother's place on Nun's Island with David.

The view from her condo there was breathtaking, facing the entire downtown Montreal spread at the foot of Mont-Royale on one side, and looking over the St. Lawrence river on the other. On a side note, Michelle (Philip's grandmother) is the kindest (and cute) old lady I have met so far in Montreal.

Between Philip, David,and I, we had never really had any serious discussions until then, y'know, the type of friends that just fooled around and joked about pointless things together.Yesterday night however, after watching the Skeleton Key, we fell into a discussion while sitting on the kitchen counter, debating religion, spirituality, and the existance of collective conciousness.It was a very interesting time with them, talking about slightly disturbing (for me at least) spirituality happenings, and out personal ideas. I had never realised they had gone through the experiences they told me, of many gave me shivering goosebumps last night. But there was one topic that Phil metioned which gave me such a scare because of its relevance to my personal experiences.

During our conversation, Philip mentioned how a Japanese girl told him how at times when people sleep, they will suddenly become aware of a sense of immobility. I remember we called this kanashibari (golden-binding). She told him that in Japan, it is told to never open your eyes during this, for you may see in front of you, what is holding you down. The moment he mentioned this, I instantly thought of the two times I have ever had the same experience. Thankfully I was never able to open my eyes during them.

I have never seen ghosts or any supernatural phenomena’s, but the kanashibari is the most horrifying experience I have ever been through. Suddenly coming to consciousness in my sleep, my mind was swirling, being pulled back into the depths of my pillow. It was impossible to breathe, and I remember the heart-racing terror as I tried to concentrate on fighting back for my life. With my eyes unable to open, I would strain to regain control of my mind and body, terrified that if I let go, it would suck me in. "I need to wake up or I'll die." was the one thought rushing through me.
In the end I don't remember how they went away, but those were the scariest moments of my life.

I wasn't exactly crying afterwards yesterday but I did have some tears, and boy was I unnerved just by being reminded of them. I've only had two kanashibaris in my life. I haven't had any for quite a while now...

No comments: